LET’S GET STARTED
1. First, purchase your Visible Mold Test Kit by selecting the number of samples you want analyzed. The Visible Mold Test Kit allows for up to 3 samples to be collected.
2. Next, you’ll receive your Visible Mold Test Kit in the mail by ground shipping. Call or email for rush shipping prices.
3. Lastly, follow the step-by-step instructions included in your Visible Mold Test Kit and mail the sample(s) back to our laboratory. A PDF report will be sent to your email that contains mold identification, to the genus level, and classification as toxigenic or non-toxigenic.
Mold growth occurs when there is long-term moisture on building materials. In indoor living spaces molds are commonly found on plant-based materials like wood, cardboard, and paper-backing on drywall. Less frequently, molds are found on smooth building materials including cement, concrete, plaster and plastics. Certain mold types are capable of producing harmful mycotoxins; these molds are classified as toxigenic.
If you suspect discoloration on a surface to be mold growth, the Visible Mold Test Kit can be used to take a sample for laboratory analysis. Each sample is evaluated for potential toxigenic mold types, including the notorious “Black Mold” (Stachybotrys chartarum). Collecting samples is easy to do. Mold test kits include step-by-step instructions.
MOLD TEST KIT – Where To Sample
Mold growth is commonly found near water sources and where water settles. Using a flashlight check for discoloration in the following places:
- Basement walls where the landscape is pitched towards the foundation
- Near the floor
- Floor trim and carpet tack strips (pull back the carpet)
- In corners of the basements (this is where moisture often accumulates)
- Beneath water supplies lines to sinks and ice cube makers
- High humidity areas. Mold growth is very common in attics where hot humid air vents directly into the attic space.
- Behind walls: if you suspect mold growth is behind a wall please call us. Customers who call about mold growth behind walls and purchase the air quality test kit are provided with a wall probe and instructions on how to sample air from behind their wall.